[T3] Whats is a Type 3 worth?

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 00:42:46 PST 2012

We're all potentially rich.    Not to mention what we've saved by not buying The Latest Models of this and that over the decades.   And, not mentioning the value of our labor keeping the things going.  Personal purchase prices for my cars over the years range from about $300 to zero.  They were/are cars, not investments.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1971/Volkswagen/Type-3/2-Door-Sedan-Squareback-Wagon/Values

        1971 Volkswagen Type 3
    2 Door Sedan Squareback Wagon  Pricing

(Don't know what "MSRP" means.)

Original   MSRP      $2,599
Low  Retail                  $4,550
Average Retail        $8,700
High Retail                 $14,000
Higher                  $ the moon      (see below)

Value Explanations

Prices shown are retail consumer values and to be considered as selling
prices. Trade-in values are to be determined by local dealers and are
generally lower than values shown.

Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in
mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning.
The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing
only minor reconditioning.  May also be a deteriorated restoration or a
very poor amateur restoration.  Most usable "as-is".

Some of the
vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are
 not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily
driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.

Note:  This value does not represent a "parts car".

Average Retail Value

 This vehicle would be in good condition overall.  It could be an older
restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle.  Completely operable.
  The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and
serviceable inside and out.  A "20-footer".

High Retail Value

 This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall.  It could be a
completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle
showing very minimal wear.  The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are
not in need of reconditioning.  The interior would be in excellent
condition.

 Note:  This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *.  *
 "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven.  It would generally be in a
 museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse judging and
car shows.  This type of car would be stored in a climate-regulated
facility.