[T3] Whats is a Type 3 worth?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Feb 23 07:45:53 PST 2012

On 22 Feb 2012 at 13:48, Brion Sabbatino wrote:

> By keeping our vehicles on the road we are helping America conserve
> energy.

I think part of the point Brion was trying to make here is that every
product has what's called "embedded energy" and "embedded pollution"
which are the amounts of energy consumed and pollution produced in
the full process of making that product.

There's a LOT of embedded energy and pollution in a new car.

The embedded energy is part of the purchase price, but the embedded
pollution is a cost that's put off onto some other time, place, or
person. Requiring pollution controls on the production process
increases the purchase price, but that's just moving the cost from
someone else to the actual consumer, where I believe it belongs.

As Brion points out, the nice thing about driving our old cars is
that we are "spending" their embedded energy and pollution over many
years, making their per year costs very low.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org