[T3] Dwell Meter Stalls Engine

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Feb 23 12:39:27 PST 2012

On 23 Feb 2012 at 11:08, Tony Rongey wrote:

> I hadn't experienced the stalling with the dwell meter before, but activating a
> timing light has always caused the RPMs to drop by a couple hundred.
> After messing with it some more I found that once the dwell is in the normal
> range the engine will slow, but not quite die with the dwell meter.

I'd try to find a different timing light and dwell meter, just to
try. Different meters may apply different loads to the system and it
sounds like yours may not be one of the better ones.

You don't have an electronic ignition installed on there, do you? If
so, you probably never want to connect to either of the coil
terminals.

What kind of timing light is this? Is it the inductive pickup type,
that just clips AROUND the HV wire? That style should never cause any
change in the engine.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org