[T3] weird idle dips

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 11:41:54 PST 2012

>Is the distributor cam lubricated?  Could be the points
>heel is wearing quickly.

This is something I've ignored previously but have begun to do since I
just had Jim refurbish my distributor

>I assume you don't change all the components each tune up?

I always use Bosch Points, Condensor and Rotor, sometimes I can't find
the rright Bosch Cap, but I make every effort to. I use the Bosch
hi-speed service plugs as recommended in the owners manual.

I change the points and condensor every 3k/3months, the cap and rotor
ever 6k/6months depending on wear - I regularly find the contact
points inside the cap scored after 6k, I change the plugs every 6k and
typically find them cacarbon coated by not wet or sludgy, just dry
carbon, and the wires every 12 months

I also have changed the Pulse contacts 2 or 3 times over the last 12
years I've owned the car.

Sounds like I have to be totally diligent with coating the distributor
shaft with grease - white lithium grease, correct?

What do the plugs look like when you take them out?  There might be clues
like oil or soot that show there's a problem outside the ignition system.