[T3] Front beam after alignment

Chris Slaymaker nurofiz at knology.net
Wed Feb 8 18:39:05 PST 2012

Back story:

I had a tire failure a while back and went to a mom&pop tire store near where I work to get two new ones so that I would have four matching tires on the road (the older two or no more than a year old).

The inner part of the failed tire was worn down to the steel belts and it was determined a rear end alignment was in order.  I told them to go ahead and do an alignment of both front and rear and walked the remaining mile in to work.  I got a call from the shop informing me that an alignment could not be done until I got new ball joints, so I ordered all four ball joints and then took the car back in once they arrived (about a week later).  I was concerned when I hadn't heard from the shop by quitting time, so I walked back to the shop and was told it was almost ready.  Thirty minutes passed and I was asked to come out to the shop.  They were having trouble with the right (long) tie rod - they couldn't get the nuts loose that are located next to the inboard tie  rod end - right above the master cylinder.  I said I would drive the car home and then drive it back the next morning to get the job completed.  The 16 mile drive home and then back the next day was a white-knuckle experience. but they completed the job the next day.  I showed them what seemed to be excessive axial play at the wheels (I must confess I haven't inspected the wheel bearings since I bought the car). Total cost was about $330.  OUCH!

The mechanic said he checked what I pointed out that morning and was concerned about the upper torsion arm axial play.  He said he tried tightening things in there (set screws? lock nuts?) which didn't sound good to me.  He said one bolt was sticking way out.  I checked things when I got home and didn't find any axial play in the upper torsion arms.  Maybe it's only present when the beam isn't loaded, but I really need to look at the wheel bearings.

This past weekend, I inspected their work.  They really beat the shit out of the diagonal arm (the rearmost part at the axle housing), presumably to get the alignment right.  In front, I couldn't find any "bolt sticking way out."  The outboard end of the right tie rod was bent.  I don't know if it was bent prior - it probably was - but surely the would have informed me of this.  It appears that the inboard tie rod end of the left tie rod is not original, as it is not angled.

Anyhow, the car seems to drive better, but I'm concerned about the mechanic's concern.  Should I be?

Chris Slaymaker
1971 Westfalia "Lurch"
1971 Squareback "Foster"
Knoxville, TN