[T3] Center Tunnel Fuel Line

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jan 3 05:42:55 PST 2012

On 2 Jan 2012 at 18:57, Brion Sabbatino wrote:

> Is the fuel line that runs through the center tunnel metal all the way
> through it? I can see where at either end it connects to the rubber
> fuel lines.

Yes, it is one long metal tube. I wasn't aware that the 914s were
plastic in the middle, but it's been a LONG time since I worked on a
914. Seems odd that they would do that; it's a lot of trouble for no
real advantage.

It sounds like you're on the right track. Once you get the clog
reamed out you should probably also add some additive to the tank to
help dissolve the remaining deposits (injector cleaner/carb cleaner.)

> Also, has anyone installed an oil pressure fuel pump cut off switch on
> a Type 3?

The usual method is to install a crash sensing cutoff, as used on all
modern cars. Those are available rather inexpensively from NAPA.
Someone else here should be able to give you the details.

An oil pressure sensing circuit would be possible, but it would give
you fits when the oil light flickers.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org