[T3] Center Tunnel Fuel Line

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Jan 3 06:24:49 PST 2012

In a message dated 1/2/2012 8:57:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
brionsab at msn.com writes:

Is the  fuel line that runs through the center tunnel metal all the way
through it? I  can see where at either end it connects to the rubber fuel
lines.

I  finally got to the point of starting the vehicle today. Drained and
refueled  fuel tank. Cranked engine over. Sounds good. No start. Low and behold,
no fuel  to engine bay. Checked fuel pump, OK. Checked line from tank, OK.
Checked line  from pump to rear, Bingo! It is clogged probably with six year
old fuel that  has varnished and hardened somewhere in the line.

I was able to run  some guy wire from the front towards the rear to ream it
out. Did not make it  the entire length before it got too dark. Will try
again in the am from the  rear forward to avoid that hard right angle curve
the metal line takes in the  front.

If it is all metal I can't see this doing any harm. Once I can  blow
compressed air through it I will force solvent through the line to clean  it more
thoroughly. If it is plastic like on a 914 I need to replace the line.

I just picked this vehicle up a few months ago as part of a package  deal
in order to obtain a '66 Deluxe Bus (clean with 79K). I want to get it  all
good as the original owner would like to purchase the Squareback. It was  her
first car and she does not possess the skills to get her road worthy
again. Very clean car with low miles that just sat for years. Am I on the  right
track?

Also, has anyone installed an oil pressure fuel pump cut  off switch on a
Type 3?

Yes I know FI came on the car. It is a 1969  Squareback with manual
transmission. The last owner had the engine rebuilt  (local VW shop) and had him
install duel solex carburetors. The put a Faucet  low pressure pump in. So I
would like to add the fuel pump cut-off for  safety.

While I would love to keep it, I just have too many cars in the  stable. I
can use the sale proceeds to help finance the repainting of the  Bus.

Thanks,

Brion S

Did you check the return line to see IF it was clear? I'm only asking,
because I ran into that with my 71 Square. Ended up using the return line for a
 fuel feed to the carbs. About 2 years later, I roto-rooted the main line
so I  could put the FI back on it. Like Jim said, both lines are steel inside
the  tunnel. The metal line can be harmed, if you use a solid piece of
wire, and  there's a thin spot in it. BTDT on a 73 VW Thing before. Had to make
up a new  fuel line for it. :O Now I just use a cable, carb cleaner and some
time. :  )

On my 64 T-34, I had a clog about 1/2 way, so I used some carb cleaner with
 a hose to build up some "head pressure" on it, and let it do it's thing
for a  day or 2. Worked great. Then I re-ran my piece of cable back thru (both
 ways) before hitting it with some air and another shot of carb cleaner. I
also  put the fuel filter along side the trans to catch any junk that was in
the line  I might have missed.

John J has a part number for the impact switch Ford uses on their cars. It
costs about 10 bucks at the dealer, or you can find them in the pick and
pulls  for less. Most fords have them in the trunk (or trunk compartment) on
the left  side, so they can be easily reset. I hope this helps.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)