[T3] Mirrors for '69 Squareback

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 16:32:06 PST 2012

> I thought we had looked at some here. I'm sure I don't have any good
> ones, but I'm pretty sure I have some parts that would at least be
> sufficient for you to see what they looked like.
>
> It's also likely that VW supplied mirrors from more than one vendor
> at different times or even at the same time. The look would have been
> pretty much the same, however, but I don't think there's any way to
> be sure of what YOURS were exactly like when you bought it.
>
> The mirrors changed in '70 or '71, and almost anything replaced after
> that time would be the later style, which superceeded the early
> style. The later ones are better because they are much easier to
> adjust.
>
> Most of our outside mirrors have been replaced more than once, so the
> odds of finding an actual original still on a car are pretty slim.
>
>> Does the Fastback body style have the VERY SAME door mirrors as the
>> Squareback?*
>
> Within the limitations of various vendors supplied at the same time,
> yes. Squarebacks got 2 mirrors, but fastys only got one, with a
> second one optional.
>
> The question I've never been able to figure out is: When did fastys
> come with the threaded insert in the RH door and when didn't they?

As you can see, Jim ... I'm still "flogging the bushes" for a RHS Door
Mirror.

I believe you sold me your last, correct, LHS Door Mirror that you had last
summer (2011).  I believe you told me you DID NOT have any good RHS
mirrors.  And I've never even seen a RHS Door Mirror.  I wasn't into Type
3's back when I bought my '69 new.  My "passion" and interest in my '69 has
just been two or three years now.

And when the "originals" went BAD, (probably in the late '70's, sometime)
the replacements were totally different.  You saw my replacements with the
1/4", solid, round, rod arms.  They are nothing like the
nut/arm/adjustments of the originals.

As for attending the 2010 Invasion in Carthage.  At that time I believe my
'69 was still suffering from that "high-speed" engine "miss".  The
Belleville Washers seemed to have fixed that problem.  But in 2010, I would
have been "left by the roadside" by the caravan.  And rightly so.  "

"The chain is only as strong as the weakest link."

Gary "Frito" -- 69' Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)