[T3] color discovery and video up date

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jan 28 15:46:55 PST 2012

On 28 Jan 2012 at 15:10, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> My parents told me when they bought the FB new in 72 that the dealer told
> them it was Clementine orange. We always called the car Clementine. I went
> to looks on Samba's color chart for more info when I go to have the paint
> mixed here soon. According to them there was no Clementine orange offered in
> 72.  And the years before there was only a color called Clementine that
> looks more red than what I have  here.  There is one color that looks like
> what we have offered in 72 called  brilliant orange.

I checked the VW microfilm, and they show 2 different "Clementine"
oranges in '71, L 20 A and L 20 D. In '72 they went to a different
orange, Brilliant orange, which was L 20 B. So your salesman was
remembering the '71 color even though the name and color had changed
slightly by '72. L 20 B is the number that your paint people need to
hear.

My '71 square is Clementine, but off hand I don't know which one it
is. I can't imagine why VW would have had 2 different oranges in one
year. There must have been a midyear change.

'70s got L 20 D, so maybe that's what (very?) early '71s got.

'73s continued with L 20 B.

Looking at your video, if you're going to replace that rear panel,
you might want to cut it out partway before you hand it over to the
body folks. Check with them first, but getting in there now would
give you access to some volumes you can't see now. Be careful,
because there are welds in the middle of that panel; you don't want
to destroy parts that the body folks will need.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org