[T3] Crate Distributor

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Jul 13 05:37:43 PDT 2012

If there's doubt about the rpm for setting the timing, it's only done to get
below the advance curve start. If your 311 distributor doesn't start the
advance curve before 850 rpm, there's no need to slow the engine down, but
the VW service instruction lists the full range of 1500S engine numbers.
You'll see that if you have a timing light connected.  Watch out if you
remove a live lead, or you may get a small jolt!

As you can see from the URL http://home.clara.net/hallvw/type3ign.htm , the
VW manual is specific about the rpm, and covers both yours and Bob's engines
- I've checked the manual that lists the two specs of 1500S engines, with
the two distributors, and yours is the right one for yours, and Bob's is
correct for his - the change of distributor (both are by Bosch) was from
engine 0633 331.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club