[T3] FI/Carbs

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Jul 13 07:29:27 PDT 2012

In a message dated 7/13/2012 10:14:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
terrieann.schmearer at yahoo.com writes:

I was  going to take my '72 Fastback to a local mechanic  (he's supposed to
be  good with VW's) and the first thing he said was, "FI in type 3's have
always  had problems, you should convert it to carbs". I decided to find
another  mechanic. I like my baby just like she is. That said... should my FI
ever stop  working what do you guys think? Is there any really, really good
reason to  change to carbs? It would have to be really good for me to even
consider  it.

If yours is working, then there is NO reason to remove it. If you had just
bought the car, and it WAS missing, then going to carbs would be an option.
With  the internet today reaching across the USA, and other countries,
there's no  reason to remove it, as parts ARE available. You could also convert
it to  MegaSquirt as well, as some on the Samba are doing. They're also
re-using as  many original parts of the "D-jet" system as possible (keeps costs
down). The  biggest issue with D-jet FI, IS finding someone that CAN work on
it, as it  doesn't have an ALDL port (to tell the mechanic where the
problem is).

About the only real reason to remove the FI (and go to carbs), is IF you
can't find anyone to work on it, it's your only car, and you can't have it
down  for any length of time, and you don't have an internet connection (must
meet all of those things listed).

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)