[T3] FI/Carbs

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Fri Jul 13 08:38:04 PDT 2012

>I was going to take my '72 Fastback to a local mechanic  (he's supposed to
be good with VW's) and the first thing he said was, "FI in type 3's have
always had problems, you should convert it to carbs". I decided to find
>another mechanic. I like my baby just like she is. That said... should my
FI ever stop working what do you guys think? Is there any really, really
good reason to change to carbs? It would have to be really good for me to
>even consider it.

My 72 Fastback was converted from FI to a progressive Webber 2 barrel back
in 84, parked it in 89 and been putting back together for the last 2 years.
I no longer have the carb set up (long story) so I had to start from square
one.  Never liked the carb set up for various reasons and going back to FI
was going to be cheaper than the carbs. To get the carb set up I had was
going to be around $500 plus it messed up the back trunk.

Dennis Stiefel

72 Fastback