[T3] FI/Carbs

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jul 13 08:38:17 PDT 2012

On 13 Jul 2012 at 7:14, Terrie Ann Schmearer wrote:

> I was going to take my '72 Fastback to a local mechanic  (he's
> supposed to be good with VW's) and the first thing he said was, "FI in
> type 3's have always had problems, you should convert it to carbs". I
> decided to find another mechanic. I like my baby just like she is.
> That said... should my FI ever stop working what do you guys think? Is
> there any really, really good reason to change to carbs? It would have
> to be really good for me to even consider it.

Few mechanics outside of dealerships ever got familiar with the Type
3 FI. They just saw so few of them that they never saw any point in
working thru the learning curve. The good dealer mechanics from those
days are all retired and dying off. So the real problem is finding
someone who actually knows what he's doing.

Your best bet is here, and your best mechanic is yourself. Ask
questions and learn to do what you can. At the very least you should
own this Bentley manual:

Volkswagen Official Service Manual
Type 3 Fastback and Squareback 1968-1973
published by Robert Bentley, Cambridge, Mass, 1974
ISBN 0-8376-0057-X / LPV 997 383 / VSQU
(excellent book, complete and well written)

It is still in print, but the wiring diagrams are no longer in color.
Color versions occasionally come up on eBay.

Switching to carbs is the stock answer you'll get from mechanics who
don't know how to deal with the FI, but unless you're someone who
enjoys the prospect of tinkering with the jetting for the next 6
months, it will never be right. The carbs they sell you will not have
the right jetting and your mechanic will not know how to get it
right. It's just his way of extracting some cash from you and getting
you out of his hair.

The down side of this is that the '72s have the most difficult tuneup
specs of all the years. This is called out correctly in the Bentley
manual above, and this is the ONLY source I know of that gets it
completely right.

You've come to the right place to ask questions. Keep it up and learn
to deal with your car. It's a great car and we'll help you keep it
happy so you can get the best out of it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org