[T3] FI/Carbs

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 14:07:56 PDT 2012

I was going to take my '72 Fastback to a local mechanic ?(he's
supposed to be good with VW's) and the first thing he said was, "FI in
type 3's have always had problems, you should convert it to carbs". I
decided to find another mechanic. I like my baby just like she is.
That said... should my FI ever stop working what do you guys think? Is
there any really, really good reason to change to carbs? It would have
to be really good for me to even consider it.

As others, with in-depth knowledge have said:  Keep what you got.

You CAN find someone who has the knowledge and skill to make your FI
system run perfectly.  One of the best sources is right on this site.
There are people on the Type 3 List who can give you solid, reliable
advice.

As for your local mechanic:  "Run away very quickly!"

I've always been suspicious of mechanics who give FREE advice about
changing something that engineers at reliable automobile companies
took years to develop, build and improve upon, over many years.

BTW.  In what city, state are you located?  I want to avoid your local mechanic

Gary "Frito" - Original owner:  '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)
Lake Geneva, WI (summer)