[T3] 2014 Type 3 Invasion

James Lingenfelter jimmyandcher at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 19:57:00 PDT 2012

LOL.... I don't even have a vehicle that could tow it! My two
remaining air-cooled vw's (the squareback and a karmann ghia) have
been retired from "daily driver" status over the last couple of
years, and now that I don't drive them on a daily basis, I feel like
I don't have as good a handle on their exact mechanical condition. It
was one thing to hop in and drive 1,500 miles when it was all I had,
and I was driving it 500 miles a week all the time. Now that they
mostly sit in the garage, mysterious failures seem to pop up at a
rate 10 times greater than when their motors never even had a chance
to cool off.

The squareback has been particularly frustrating over the years. I
bought it 8 years ago, and it was quite a basket case. It had a good
body with zero rust, a good motor, and absolutely NOTHING else
worked. I drove it home when I bought it and feared for my life every
inch of the way. So for 8 years I've been working the bugs out of it.
I actually got it running and driving great within just a few months
of buying it, and thought I was done. But it's been 8 more years of
one bizarre problem after another raising it's ugly head. I feel like
I am STILL on a perpetual shakedown run, waiting for the next mystery
to pop up. I still don't trust this car for more than 100 miles.
Meanwhile, the interior and paint remain in their pitiful state,
since I have sworn to myself to get it right mechanically before
proceeding with anything else.

This has been frustrating for me; the other vw's I've had (type 1), I
purchased in a reasonably well maintained condition. This squareback
was my first experiment with buying a car that's been sitting in
someone's back yard for years. Now I am still chasing down problems
resulting from years of abuse and neglect under previous owners!