[T3] F.I. -Automatic - Dies when slowing/Stopping

Stet Sanborn stet.sanborn at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 12:27:55 PDT 2012

Hi Everyone -

I've got a '71 Squareback, F.I automatic.  Last week, after 4 years of
flawless driving, something strange started happening.  When I came to a
stop sign (after the car had been driving for about 20 mins), it just
turned off.  The idle dropped so low that the car stalled.  I put her back
in neutral and was able to start up again.  At the next stop sign, she died
again.  This continued until I got home.  When I got home, I noticed the
spring loaded oil breather cap had popped open.  I snapped it back in place
and the car started up and idled just fine for about 5 mins.  I didn't have
time that night to do any more testing or verification, so she sat until
this morning.  (on a side note, what should I see inside the oil breather?
 The spring was covered in gunk, the whole thing was filled inside with
gunk, which I don't remember seeing the last time I was poking around under
that cap)

I went ahead this morning and checked the hoses, as was mentioned in last
weeks digest about the high idle.  I don't see any that are off.  I removed
the oil cleaner while I was in there, cleaned it out and put it back in
with the associated hoses.  I started the car and let her idle for about 10
mins.  I took her out for a test drive, still unsure of what had happened
last week.  She drove great for about 2 miles.  Then the same thing
happened again, idle dropping so low it just stalls any time I come to a
stop sign or light right about when it upshifts into first.  I'm able to
keep it going essentially anytime I've got my foot on the gas, even just a
little bit.

Any thoughts on a testing sequence I could use to isolate the problem would
be appreciated.

Cheers,
Stet
'71 squareback, F.I. with dealer A/C (unfortunately)
Oakland, CA