[T3] Squareback Rear Hatch

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 09:47:41 PDT 2012

We worked on the right-rear hinge assembly last night.

When I removed the plastic hinge cover (cover is disintegrating into
cracks, pieces & small granules) I found a small wood piece with metal
sleeve over part of it, that I had made (probably) more than 12 years
ago.  The wood/metal piece was lying loose in the cover.  After
figuring out the orientation of the piece ... I put it back in and ...
Viola ... no more "hang-up".

What the small wood/metal piece does is it prevents the rear hatch
from going all the way UP, thus preventing the hatch from "locking
up".

I know, it's NOT stock.  But it does fix a problem temporarily, while
we go to the Invasion.

James Lingenfelter --
If you replace the hinges from a parts car, do you have to partially
remove the headliner to access the hinge assembly?
Is the assembly welded, screwed or bolted in?

As the evening light was fading, I didn't have time to investigate how
to do a permanent repair.  I was just happy to have it opening and
closing, again.

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)
Lake Geneva, WI (summer)