[T3] Plug wire advice

James Lingenfelter jimmyandcher at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 16 18:53:08 PDT 2012

Hi guys; I have a dead plug wire to cylinder #1, and would like to
know what plug wire set you guys recommend. The reasons that the plug
wire is bad are: 1. The wires exit vertically out of the boots at the
distributor end, and there is no clearance between the top of the
distributor -especially where #1 wire comes out- and the engine
hatch, so the plug wire is nearly crimped at a right angle where it
exits the boot, and 2. The plug wire to cylinder #1 is really too
short, so it is stretched to the max just to barely reach, putting
stress on the wire connections at both ends. So, the connection at
the distributor end is shot, and #1 cylinder is now intermittent.
   My dilemma is this: this is about the 3rd plug wire set I have
tried... the first two were higher quality (I think at least one was
a Bosch set), and had the right angle boots at the distributor
end.... BUT, in both of those cases, NONE of the wires were long
enough to reach cylinder #1.... not even close, even though I bought
all of these sets at the local VW parts store, whose computer
insisted the sets were for a type III. I finally went with this
cheap, lower quality Empi set, simply because with some slight
stretching, and creative routing THROUGH the carb linkage, I could
actually get #1 wire to reach.
   Is there some secret part # that you guys could give me? My dream
plug wire set with right angle boots AND enough length to reach the
plugs?
   Thanks,
   Jimmy