[T3] 2 FI fuel pumps

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jun 30 12:16:18 PDT 2012

On 28 Jun 2012 at 13:26, Brion Sabbatino wrote:

> I have come to the conclusion that the fuel sold today that contains
> ethanol can cause a significant quantity of water to accumulate in the
> bottom of a gas tank. This seems to take several months of aging.
> Changing temperatures might be contributing to the rapid separation of
> petroleum fuel and ethanol fuel and water.

That's a reasonable hypothesis, but the car I just drove to Co.
Springs was stored for 2 years in my unheated garage. I parked it
with a nearly full tank, which was about 3/4 full when I got it back
out. It started right up with the 2 year old gasohol, and ran
perfectly for the 2300 mile trip. I don't think there was a
significant amount of water in there.

My only problems were a couple of very small gas leaks, including one
that I've still not found. I can only smell it....  ;-p

> The changing dew points seem to accelerate formation of water droplets
> which then contaminates the tank.

This, along with changing barometric pressure, is absolutely true,
but it applies to any kind of fuel.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org