[T3] Weird Idle Dips

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Mar 2 01:37:24 PST 2012

In nearly 50 years of owning and servicing my air-cooled VWs, I've never had
a condensor failure.  As a result, I've never replaced one so haven't been
tempted with anything other than the original Bosch.

If there's misfiring in an engine, a garage needs to be certain that they
fix the problem - the more time they waste testing, or trying it with
substituted components, the bigger the cost to the owner.  Compared with
mechanics rates, components are generally cheap.  Luckily, we don't have the
complex units of modern cars.   Because generally we have more time to
spare, and it's not being billed, plus we enjoy repairing something, so we
can afford to take a different line, rather than a 'scatter-gun' approach to
trouble-shooting.   It's not 'wrong' for a mechanic to replace all the
service items, just usually unnecessary!

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club