[T3] Weird Idle Dips

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Mar 1 21:17:15 PST 2012

On 1 Mar 2012 at 15:03, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> >Condensor: Buy genuine Bosch; use an old one in preference to a new
> >one. I have never seen or heard of a bad Bosch condensor.
>
> I was taught that points and condensor wear together and points should
> Never be replaced without also replacing the condensor, as it introduces
> an unnecessary variable when troubleshooting.

Condensors don't "wear." Condensors used in electronics are called
capacitors, and they can be made with several different kinds of
construction. Basically it's a question of what kind of insulator
they use. I've replaced plenty of failed capacitors in electronic
equipment over the years, but none of them have had the kind of
construction that's used in automotive ignition systems. I've never
seen a bad ignition condensor. Have you?

I know lots of people share your opinion, and it's possible that in
some brands, condensor failure is real. I've just never seen with
Bosch condensors.

> >Ignition points: I take them out and inspect them. If they are badly
> >worn, I'll sometimes file them to get to fresh metal.
>
> I used to do this when I fixed bugs and buses in the ghetto where we
> couldn't afford tune up parts, and it usually backfired (pun intended) on
> us because we couldn't never eliminate faulty ignition parts when trouble
> shooting running/starting problems. I made a vow never to reuse points un
> less I was literally stranded. For that I keep a point file in my toolbox

I agree that reusing points is more iffy. I don't replace them often,
but when they get bad they generally get thrown out.

> >Spark Plugs: Here's where I think we get to the root of your actual
>
> >problem. You say you've been using the recommended high speed plugs,
> >and that's probably your mistake. People tend to read that and think
> >it will translate into better performance.
>
> Nope I just continued what the previous owner had in there. I always
> ran W8AC and W8CC on my buses. I suppose I can try W8AC's next tune
> up.

Very few people understand what it means to run a cool plug. It's a
very common mistake, and one that I used to make, too. W8CC's are the
extended tip, right? If so, they might be worth a try. Same heat
range, but the extended tip puts the spark out closer to the middle
of the mixture. I know I tried the extended tip plugs for a few
years, but I couldn't tell any difference, and they were hard to
find, in the right thread and heat range for our VWs. So I've just
gone back to the W8AC or W8AP.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org