[T3] Weird Idle Dips

Chris Sheridan cscsheridan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 15:03:19 PST 2012

>Condensor: Buy genuine Bosch; use an old one in preference to a new
>one. I have never seen or heard of a bad Bosch condensor.

I was taught that points and condensor wear together and points should

Never be replaced without also replacing the condensor, as it introduces

an unnecessary variable when troubleshooting.

>Ignition points: I take them out and inspect them. If they are badly

>worn, I'll sometimes file them to get to fresh metal.

I used to do this when I fixed bugs and buses in the ghetto where we

couldn't afford tune up parts, and it usually backfired (pun intended) on

us because we couldn't never eliminate faulty ignition parts when trouble

shooting running/starting problems. I made a vow never to reuse points un

less I was literally stranded. For that I keep a point file in my toolbox

>Spark Plugs: Here's where I think we get to the root of your actual

>problem. You say you've been using the recommended high speed plugs,
>and that's probably your mistake. People tend to read that and think
>it will translate into better performance.

Nope I just continued what the previous owner had in there. I always
ran W8AC and W8CC on my buses. I suppose I can try W8AC's next tune
up.

>Bosch makes a special grease for this. I have small, expensive tubes
>that should last multiple lifetimes,

Thanks I will get some of that Grease