[T3] Engine production numbers was Weird Idle Dips

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 03:16:48 PST 2012

That's how I've thought as well.  With the Beetle cabrios, their production
dates are later than the chassis sequences would suggest, as far as I can
ascertain with a few enquiries I've received so far.  I haven't any
information tieing Type 34s or 14s chassis numbers with production dates as
shown from Birth Certificates.  Is there any sort of date plate on the 34s
like the ones on the other Type 3s, which would let us tie it down any
better?

The UK camper converting companies used to buy a batch of Kombi buses at a
time and their date of manufacture was often nearly a year earlier than the
date of first registration.  That has become handy for some people over here
since the annual road tax of around $300 only applies to vehicles
manufactured from Jan 1973.  My camper didn't get in though, unfortunately.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club