[T3] Engine production numbers was Weird Idle Dips

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Mar 5 19:58:08 PST 2012

In a message dated 3/5/2012 8:07:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:

Wasn't  the Type 34 built on a Type 3 chassis?  I've assumed they are
within
the sequence, but someone will put me right if not.

I'm  pretty sure the chassis numbers weren't stamped on until final assembly
as  that's the only explanation for one of my 3 consecutive Squarebacks
dated
and painted body plate being out of sequence with chassis  numbers.

Yes, they were. I'm thinking that batches of pans went to Karmann though,
rather than VW sending them 1 at a time. The reason I say that, is batches
would make sense, in that the steering box has to be reset, the KG seat
tracks  welded to the floor, and the KG rear kick plate (yes it's different from
 standard) welded in, and all of that welding repainted (or just painted).
These  items would take time, and I'd think they would be done at Karmann
rather than  at Wolfsburg. Plus, the standard pieces would be left off at VW,
making it a  little easier for the Karmann workers. I don't know IF that's
how it worked  though.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)