[T3] Engine production numbers was Weird Idle Dips

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Mar 6 14:43:14 PST 2012

Just checked that bung - it's dark so I took a torch with me (thought that
would get a laugh!).

It's not threaded, and I'm sure they batch-built back then - they probably
still do for some markets so they can be transported to the same port for
shipping. Three versions of the front beam seems likely.

A story I've told before may put other things in context.

I've had three 1971 Variants, two marina blue, one was obtained part
stripped to salvage bits, one we used from 1976 until around 1990, when it
was dismantled for parts, and the current Elm green one, bought 1991 and
still in use.

The plates on the body and the VIN numbers read  18-1-4323, 361 2199964;
18-2-3799, 361 2201332;  18-3-3645, 361 2200959 (Elm green).

I believe that means the bodies were made on Monday (-1-), Tuesday (-2-) and
Wednesday (-3-) in week 18 of 1971.

However, the chassis numbers are not in that sequence.  I believe the
Tuesday body was assembled to the chassis AFTER the Wednesday car, as it has
a later chassis number.

Why would that be?   I think I have a reasonable explanation:-

When I was repairing the driver's door on the 'Tuesday' car, I found below
the (apparently) factory-applied Marina blue paint (which had matched the
rest of the car perfectly all its life) that it was actually Elm green.  If
the body had not been passed by the VW inspectors after the paint stage,
maybe because the door was damaged, it would have missed the production line
for that day and been delayed while a door was painted to suit.  It would
have then been married to a later chassis number, as seems to have happened.
I didn't notice any other parts with the same under paint, so I think it was
possible that they had repainted a green door.

I guess if I stumped up the money for a birth certificate for the latest
chassis number, I could clarify the mystery, but it seems an unnecessary
expense for a car I no longer have - well, only parts!

So, Right-hand drive were made in batches for the UK anyway - probably a
ship-load of various models at a time, to be stored at Ramsgate until
distributed to dealers.

The same would almost certainly be true of USA production, but with LHD and
their special specifications of sealed beam, and all FI, etc.

It was fascinating when visiting Wolfsburg in 2002 that there was quite a
mix of LHD and RHD special edition VWs mixed together on the line -
computerised parts system sent the right parts as the cars were being
assembled.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club