[T3] Engine production numbers was Weird Idle Dips

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Mar 6 20:01:54 PST 2012

In a message dated 3/6/2012 5:47:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:

However,  the chassis numbers are not in that sequence.  I believe the
Tuesday  body was assembled to the chassis AFTER the Wednesday car, as it
has
a  later chassis number.

Why would that be?   I think I have a  reasonable explanation:-

When I was repairing the driver's door on the  'Tuesday' car, I found below
the (apparently) factory-applied Marina blue  paint (which had matched the
rest of the car perfectly all its life) that  it was actually Elm green.  If
the body had not been passed by the VW  inspectors after the paint stage,
maybe because the door was damaged, it  would have missed the production
line
for that day and been delayed while a  door was painted to suit.  It would
have then been married to a later  chassis number, as seems to have
happened.
I didn't notice any other parts  with the same under paint, so I think it
was
possible that they had  repainted a green door.

This is very possible. I've run into those "strange repainted" parts too.
The license lamp holder on my 71 Notch was repainted Shantung yellow over
green  as well. Now I know the car had been repainted, but the painter had
just taped  off the chrome plate, not removing it. When I repainted the car,
the trim piece  was removed (how I found the green color), and even the green
paint was sanded  off. On another note, I've been watching some of the
Ultimate Factory's on tv,  and some of the cars like the Porsche, Bentley, and
Maserati (sp?) will get held  up from production, IF there's any flaws after
paint, and some, even before  paint if it doesn't pass the tests. So your
"Tuesday" car could very well have  been finished Wednesday or even Thursday,
depending on where it could get back  "in line".

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)