[T3] ball joints

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Wed Mar 7 17:05:12 PST 2012

Sorry - got the socket size wrong!

Just an important warning:-
The pinch-bolt for the lower end of the ball-joint will be damaged if you do
not remove the torsion bar tension pulling the two torsion arms apart.
These bolts are special ones with longer unthreaded shanks, and high-tensile
10.8.  Being suspecsion components, please don't use inferior bolts here.

You need to get a screw clamp which will pull the arms together
sufficiently.  A big G-clamp might be good enough.

The bolts can be hard to remove - again, soaking with a penetrating fluid
helps.  It will take a lot of drilling out if they break off.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club