[T3] ball joints

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Mar 7 16:05:05 PST 2012

In a message dated 3/7/2012 1:54:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
csheridan at virtual-consulting.net writes:

Hi,
Has anyone changed their ball joints on their type 3 that wants  to share
the following:

1) Did anyone damage their nuts removing the  ball joints (the ball joint
nuts) because it appears
they need to reused  on the new ball joints

2) Was a ball joint removal tool necessary or  did people use a pickle
fork/5 lb sledge to knock them loose?

this  is for a 1970 fastback.

thanks,

I just did this to my T-34 two weeks ago. I used Meyle brand ball joints
(made in Italy with German parts according to the box), and they came with a
new  nut. I used a 30 mm socket on my 18 inch breaker bar to get them loose,
 then off. After that, I used a 17 mm socket to remove the thru bolt, then
my old  worn out craftsman flat blade screw driver to slightly spread the
gap where the  thru bolt was. I then replaced the ball joints with the new
parts and  reassembled, making sure the flats were parallel to the brake rotor.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)