[T3] ball joints

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Mar 7 19:34:05 PST 2012

On 7 Mar 2012 at 10:54, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> Has anyone changed their ball joints on their type 3 that wants to share
> the following:

I have never managed to get them out, but I've also never run across
one that had actually reached its wear limit. I suspect that people
who got theirs out were working on cars that hadn't spent their lives
in the rust belt. The double flatted stub lets water get all the way
down into those threads.

> 1) Did anyone damage their nuts removing the ball joints (the ball joint
> nuts) because it appears they need to reused on the new ball joints

I'd expect that to be common, along with broken washers. None of the
replacements I have came with new nuts or washers. It's nice to hear
that some do.

> 2) Was a ball joint removal tool necessary or did people use a pickle
> fork/5 lb sledge to knock them loose?

No. it's a very wide taper.

The very most important thing to do is to make SURE that they are
actually worn out. If the boots are still good, the ball joints will
almost certainly be good too. If the boots are torn, you should still
check the play. Check out the Bentley for the wear limit; it's a bit
hard to understand and to check, but you can check them in the car.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org