[T3] ball joints

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Mar 7 21:03:11 PST 2012

In a message dated 3/7/2012 8:19:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:

Looking  at Bob's method to remove the ball joint nuts first, I guess that
would  remove the tension anyway, so you wouldn't be at risk of damaging
the
threads as the bolts are removed from the split clamp.  Mostly,  the
ball-joints don't get removed, so the pinch bolts get damaged if  the
steering knuckle is removed for any reason.

Yeah, I used the floor jack to keep the upper ball joint tight to the
trailing arm when I removed the nut, then let the jack down to release it. Once
you have the top ball joint off the trailing arm, the entire spindle is
load free. And yes, I was very aware of the pinch bolts, that's why I chose
that  method.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)