[T3] Child seats in a Square

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Mar 10 07:25:00 PST 2012

In a message dated 3/9/2012 9:18:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gtixpress at gmail.com writes:

My 69  has provisions by the rear popouts for rear shoulder belts.   I put
set in and they fit fine.

I think ALL type 3s came with those mounts, except the T-34, which never
got rear seat belts. In fact VW  and Karmann called the rear seat a
temporary use "jump seat". I guess they really didn't want you to use it, but if  an
emergency came up, it could be used as a seat.

Keith, couldn't you just install a stationary (non-reel type) 3 point  belt
from J-bugs or CIP or someone like that? I think that would be the least
intrusive, and later on, it could be put back the way it was.

When our kids were born (a long time ago), the state was just  requiring
safety seats. We bought 1, and just used the lap belt to fasten them  in. The
car seat had to be installed in the car in the rear facing  direction though
(even IF it was used in the front seat). Our kids missed the  "booster"
seat requirement, so we just fastened them in like normal when they  got old
enough. As they got older, they would just fasten themselves in without  a
thought. Sue would lean her head between the 2 front bucket seats and ask them
IF they buckled up, as we're not going until they did.

I think it was the late 80's going into the early 90's when rear 3 point
belts were provided by the car manufacturers in the USA, as my wife's 90 GMC
van  has them, my 92 Pontiac had them, and my 92 Geo has them as well. I
think you'd  need to talk to the NY DMV (or dept. of public safety) to find out
what the  law is on use in a car that only came with lap belts. You might
be surprised to  find out you don't have to do anything other than buckle
them in (with the lap  belt). Here in Michigan, anyone older than 16 riding in
the rear seat doesn't  have to wear a seat belt IF they choose not to.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)