[T3] Frustrating stalling problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Mar 10 22:21:06 PST 2012

On 10 Mar 2012 at 21:28, Norman Roush wrote:

> Back on 2/6/12 I wrote about a hesitation/stall problem I had with my
> '68 Sqbk w/MT and stock FI.  I thought I had the problems worked out
> (loose connections and bad dizzy clamp).  The car has been starting
> and running well until Friday afternoon when it stalled at a red
> light.  I could not get it started and had it towed home.  I got the
> car started but it will not keep running.  Dwell, timing, battery and
> valves are OK.  It appears that fuel pressure is OK but I do not have
> a gauge to test.  It starts easily but will stall, sometimes after
> just a few minutes, sometimes after several minutes.

Check the screw that holds the FI main power relay under the back
seat. Make sure it's tight. Then check the wire that runs from the
battery + post to that relay and make sure the battery end is okay.

Likewise, check the single ground connection on top of the center of
the '68 engine case.

Could also be a problem in the FI dist trigger points or the
connection to them. There are lots of possibilities.

When it won't start, do you hear the 2 clicks when you turn the key
on?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org