[T3] Child seats in a Square

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 12 20:59:36 PDT 2012

If it were me, I would install three points in the rear. That way, know you are legal. The other option is to carry a copy of the law and for some reason you get pulled over, have the cop explain it. This has worked for a bicycle rack I unknowing installed improperly: just asked for an explanation, and as he was looking me up, I corrected it. He apparently was pleased, as let me off the hook for not having proper insurance documentation (Something I can never keep track of, especially in the Squareback where there is no door pockets or glove box and things always get wet. Been real lucky not to have gotten pulled over in that.). My good bicycle has a copy of road rules for idiot drivers. Trouble is they do not always like it when I can pull out the law and end up driving off...

The other option is to just use lap belts. Better than the way I grew up. There was no rear belts in Dad's '64 bug and we could not jump on the seat (I now realize that is because of the 12 volt conversion). In the '85 Toyota Corolla, Oma sat in the back with all three of us, with my baby sister on her lap. I loved that car, but the head gaskets were a flaw so not reliable and sat out in the sun too long. We made it to adulthood, despite Opa's at times creative driving. They say the safest seat in a car is behind the front passenger seat, so that is where I have my sister sit, especially as in the Squareback my Brother can barely fit his 360 pound wide and tall frame and no way was the seat belt going to fit.

In short, comes down to following an interpretation of the law.

Hope this helps...

Thank you,
Adriel

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I.- Located in Coastal San Diego County
Student, A.S.U. Tempe, AZ