[T3] Child seats in a Square

Know One knowonelse at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 11 20:54:12 PDT 2012

> they want all the kids in the back seat and my back seats
> are eather non-existant or lap belt only.

I think that for modern cars without a rear seat, there is a switch to turn off the front passenger seat air bag in order to fit a child seat belt in that location. The switch isn't obvious.

Way back when, I disconnected the front passenger air bag to be able to safely install a kids seat in that location. This was in our '99 4Runner. I did that to another vehicle as well I recall. In case you think this is illegal, it sort of isn't. A shop doing it is illegal for sure, but not for the owner of the car, though it is somewhat disputed. I re-connected them before selling the car.

When I installed the latest car seat for my grandson, I recall on the box there were instructions for cars with only a lap belt.

Jeff '67 Sqbk