[T3] Missing Message on Engine Rattle

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Mar 16 04:42:18 PDT 2012

On 15 Mar 2012 at 18:50, J. Jonik wrote:

> Incidentally, since this most recent rattle recurrence, a
> rubbery-whine has arisen from engine area. What else but Fan Belt?
> But belt is just the right tightness-looseness.  The rubber that
> contacts the pulleys is as glossy as glass. Is that normal?  And, is
> there a Standard Life Span for a fan belt?   This couldn't be related
> to the mystery rattle, could it? Fan seems to have no in-out play (to
> speak of) or wiggle.

I don't recall seeing this message, either.

There's very little stress on our belts, since they only run the
generator, not the fan, so it's not likely to be the belt. OTOH, I
don't recall them normally getting glassy smooth, but they do get
shiny. My belts are all very old, probably 30-40 years.

Other possible causes of an rpm related whine are worn generator
bearings or dirt buildup on the generator field pole pieces, which
then rubs on the armature. That does no harm, but it does make a
noise.

A worn bearing would have to be replaced, but it's relatively easy to
take the generator apart and brush off the field pole pieces. Just be
careful not to damage the insulation on the windings themselves.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org