[T3] Missing Message on Engine Rattle

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 18:50:11 PDT 2012

I sent this message (below) a week or two ago but it does not seem to have appeared on the list.
 Was this an effect of list computer adjustments?

Incidentally, since this most recent rattle recurrence, a rubbery-whine has arisen from engine area. What else but Fan Belt?  But belt is just the right tightness-looseness.  The rubber that contacts the pulleys is as glossy as glass. Is that normal?  And, is there a Standard Life Span for a fan belt?   This couldn't be related to the mystery rattle, could it?
Fan seems to have no in-out play (to speak of) or wiggle.

A while ago there was back and forth about mystery rattle that SEEMS to
come from the engine area.    My rattle went away, for a while.  Now
it's back.
 This is standard shift.    Rattle---somewhat tinny...not
heavy metalic...happens between shifts and sometimes in idle, goes away with just a little
rev.  Car runs fine otherwise.

But...car had a few minor
momentary stalls lately (rolling, easy re-start)...again, while shifting
 or when car slowed down to below speed the gear should have been in.
So, something seems to be getting worse.
  While doing rust hole
repair on driver side floor recently, I realized that the clutch pedal
is not at the right  position.  Too much play.   Not drastic, but...does
 that mean that the clutch cable is stretching, or even fraying?  The
adjustment nut underneath
 can't move out of it's seat, I don't think.

So, I haven't yet
tried just re-adjusting the play of the clutch pedal....but, before
doing that, it would be good to know WHY it would come out of
adjustment.   Is the only answer that the cable is (dangerously)
stretched or fraying?

Is this a nice early warning to replace the cable?

And...would
 a stretched, or slowly fraying, clutch cable cause that chattering
noise? What metal is clattering against what metal?

Is such chattering a symptom of something to do with the throw-out bearing?

Using
 a stethoscope with a heavy wire touch-and-listen attachment, there was
no place on the engine that found anything unusual even while it was
chattering in neutral....as it does sometimes and not others.   Haven't
brought stethoscope under the car to listen to trans and clutch areas,
yet.

How to know this isn't a valve doing a Death Rattle?

Or, is this a
 case of LLLS (Lazy Left Leg Syndrome) where clutch pedal isn't pushed ALL the way down when shifting?   (MUST it be pushed all the way down anyway?...not "just enough to change gears"?)