[T3] Missing Messages....

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Mar 23 17:28:50 PDT 2012

In a message dated 3/23/2012 6:33:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
j_jonik at yahoo.com writes:

A few  messages I sent in the last month or so didn't make it to the list.
 Maybe that was because I used an obsolete address?  If so, the mail
didn't bounce.
Or maybe the problem is about Rich Text vs Plain Text?   Will use plain
here.  Can't use hyperlinks though.

Anyway, to  briefly recap some messages:

1)  Rattlesnake type rattle in engine  area is back.  It went away for a
while after simple distributor clean-up  and re-setting timing. Coincidence?
Rattle happens at idle and sometimes  between gear shifts. Goes away with
just a little rev.  Using special  stethoscope, cannot find rattle anywhere.
Can't listen to the  spinning fan, of course.  Fan pulley seems fine...no
warp wiggle, just  that tiny Barely-No-Play in and out, checked with big
screwdriver.
If this is the death sound of a valve rod, wouldn't the stethoscope hear it
at  valve cover area?

Could this be a clutch problem?  Throw-out  bearing?

2) Have heard rubbery squeal from engine area, just once in a  while.  What
else but fan belt?    But, belt is proper  tightness, and no signs of old
rubber cracks or chips...and no oil or grease  around.  But, again,...is the
contact surface supposed to have a  high-gloss, almost glassy sheen?
What should it look like?  What is  recommended life-span of a belt?

This part got thru about 2 or 3 weeks ago. So far (IF I remember right),
the possible problems could be generator bearings starting to fail, 1 of the
3  small screws behind the fan backed out (and is rubbing on the back of the
 fan), the muffler heat shield rattling, and 1 other thing I forgot (hey,
I've  slept since then ;-) ).

I think Jim said that fan belts last a long time. In fact I think he said
he's gotten 30 years out of 1. :O There isn't much of anything made of
rubber on  our cars though, but another thing could be the rubber motor mounts
(on the  sides of IRS cars) are squeaking.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)