[T3] Missing Messages....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Mar 23 20:23:35 PDT 2012

On 23 Mar 2012 at 14:20, J. Jonik wrote:

> A few messages I sent in the last month or so didn't make it to the
> list.  Maybe that was because I used an obsolete address?  If so, the
> mail didn't bounce. Or maybe the problem is about Rich Text vs Plain
> Text?  Will use plain here.  Can't use hyperlinks though.

I saw your previous post, with these same questions, but without the
rust comments. It's certainly true that if you try to post from a non-
subscribed address, the list will simply ignore the message.

> 1)  Rattlesnake type rattle in engine area is back.  It went away for a while after simple distributor clean-up and re-setting timing. Coincidence?  Rattle happens at idle and sometimes between gear shifts. Goes away with just a little rev.  Using special stethoscope, cannot find rattle anywhere.   Can't listen to the spinning fan, of course.  Fan pulley seems fine...no warp wiggle, just that tiny Barely-No-Play in and out, checked with big screwdriver.
>   If this is the death sound of a valve rod, wouldn't the stethoscope hear it at valve cover area?
>
>  Could this be a clutch problem?  Throw-out bearing?

It's not a valve. If it were the clutch or throwout bearing it would
change if you depressed the clutch pedal. My next guess would be a
loose heat shield on an OE style muffler. If not that, check both
elbows on top of the heater mixer boxes. Especially in '71, there was
someone on one side of the assembly line who got behind and neglected
to put the screw in that attached the elbow to the mixer box.

> 2) Have heard rubbery squeal from engine area, just once in a while.  What else but fan belt?    But, belt is proper tightness, and no signs of old rubber cracks or chips...and no oil or grease around.  But, again,...is the contact surface supposed to have a high-gloss, almost glassy sheen?
> What should it look like?  What is recommended life-span of a belt?

Our belts last a long, long time.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org