[T3] car died on way home

Bryon Garvin spinningrooves at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 19:05:56 PDT 2012

> Back at the engine, against the "firewall," just to left of center,
> there should be an inline connector that connects a FI wiring harness
> wire from the brain to a wire into the rear main wiring harness. This
> wire leads to the fuel pump relay and is what makes the relay close.
> Check that connection and make sure that the wires are plugged
> together correctly. Sometimes, if someone has been in a hurry, the
> two connectors get pushed in there alongside one another instead of
> inserted inside one another.

Ok, I double checked that connector.  We ARE talking about the one that has
2 wires on the right, one on the left, at the rear of the engine
compartment?  Mine was more center than left of center.  There's another
connector that has a small white wire coming and going out of it.  The
connector itself is amber colored plastic.  I couldn't really figure that
one out, but it didn't seem to be loose.  Anyway, regarding the 3-wire
connector, it seemed to have its wires seated correctly.

I started the car and it ran fine for a minute then began to die.  Running
the pump primer, again seemed to save it from totally dying.  I got my
pressure gauge out and hooked it up.  Primed the ring, started the car and
returned to watch the gauge.  It ran fine for about 30 seconds, then
pressure dropped to about 20 psi and the engine struggled.  I went back to
priming switch and held it down for 5-8 seconds.  Engine ran fine, then
same thing....pressure drops to 20psi out of nowhere and engine struggled.
 Each time, the primer switch made it run again.

Only once did the switch seem to have no effect.  That was an anomaly
though.  I wondered for a second if my fuel pump needs a rebuild, but then
realized the primer switch would not help that situation.  So, I'm back to
wondering what is going on?

> I'd also check to make sure that the mounting screw for the FI main
> power relay, under the back seat, is well tightened. It doesn't sound
> like this is your problem, but your experience is pretty odd.

I checked the FI relay under the back seat.  Held my hand on it while key
was turned.  It clicks.  The screw is tight and has good ground.

> Make sure your distributor is pushed all the way down into the engine
> case. The dist mount bracket should lay flat on top of the case and
> not push the distributor up at all. (probably not the problem)

Everything with the distributor looks fine.

I can't get away from this notion of the primer pump button taking
something out of the equation which allows it to all work.  That in
conjunction with the fact that when I hit the speed bump, that's when I got
my problem.  What is the role of the relay under the dash that the primer
button is connected to ?  Could that be bad?

Again, it's like clockwork.  Car runs fine, does not struggle at all for
about 45 to 60 seconds, then it loses fuel pressure and won't run.

I'm racking my brain....

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone,

 - Bryon, '71 Fastback FI/MT