[T3] Tow Bar for 1969 Squareback Axle Beam

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Mar 23 20:23:36 PDT 2012

On 23 Mar 2012 at 14:42, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> 1)  Weight of Axle Beam?  I've found one in Texas, but I need to get
> it to Wisconsin.  Either I ship the axle beam or I find a place
> in/on/on top of our motor home or towed car to carry it.

For an empty "shell," they're pretty light, maybe 30-40 lbs. I don't
think there was any change in the shape of the "shell" over the
years. The only change I know of is that the upper Zerk fittings
moved. Internally, some of the inner bushing bearings moved to
different depths.

> 2)  IF a part number is stamped into an Axle Beam, where is the number located?

I've never seen a part number on one, but it might be somewhere, just
covered with dirt, grease, and undercoating.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org