[T3] Tow Bar for 1969 Squareback Axle Beam

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 20:27:18 PDT 2012

You said:  "It's not that much, maybe 30 to 50 pounds, but it's more
the bulk of it,
as it takes up a space of about 3 ft by 18 inches, and all the weight is
concentrated in that spot."

Yeah, I know it's going to be bulky and shipping it may be cost
prohibitive.  I'd rather figure out how to carry the axle beam
in/on/on top of either the motor home or car.

Also:  "Something to keep in mind (for both you and your fabricator), you might
want to add a couple of tabs from the impact bar to help support the weight of
 the tow bar. I realize that the impact bar is just a slip in piece (it
resides  behind the bumper), but you'll be cantilevering the tow bar part off
the beam  (to mount your "Blue OX" to). The tabs won't be for anything other
than to help  keep it from dragging on the ground. If you do this between
the body and the  bumper, the impact bar could be replaced at a later date
with an "unmodified"  one. Just a thought."

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)

Bob ... I would like to say the tabs to the impact bar (that's the
round, "U-shaped" tube that goes thru the round holes in the front
apron, right?) is a great thought & suggestion ... but ... because my
bumper mounts are so rusted or non-existent, the impact bar and bumper
were removed years ago.  Right now the car is bumper-less.  The police
have never stopped me for NOT having a bumper.  And I'm not sure what
the Wisconsin DOT requires.  I'd rather ask for forgiveness, than ask
for permission.

You asked:  "Are you using a sample beam that still has good bushing
and bearings?"

I don't know if the bushings or bearings are good or not.  Would they
be worth saving IF  they are with the beam and in good shape?  I was
just more interested in buying and shipping (a question of weight)
JUST the Axle Beam "shell" metal stampings.

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)
Lake Geneva, WI (summer)