[T3] T3's and salty roads

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 09:59:29 PDT 2012

For all of those who have T3's in areas where SALT on roads is a
problem in the spring.  The mild winter 2011-12 weather has allowed
some of the the DOT to NOT use their allotment of salt.  Isn't it a
bureaucratic shame that they must use their salt their stocks, whether
they need to or not.  They all seem to be concerned about their budget
$$$ for next year.  Use it, or lose it.

I once worked for a multi-national company which "shipped?" much of
their warehoused product on Friday so they could report good sales
results for the week.

However the "shipments" were (in reality), loading the product into
53' over-the-road trailers and parking them off of the premises for
the weekend.  Then on Monday they brought the trailers back and
re-stocked the product back into the warehouse again.

A shell game, to be sure.

These DOT entities should do that, with their salt allotments.
Wasteful; you bet.  But a way to protect their salt allotment budget
$$$ for the subsequent year.

For my money, spreading the excess salt on roads "just to use it up"
is a waste of material, equipment, wages, man power, fuel, etc. ....
not to mention the damage it does to the roads, sewer system and
environment. And our modern vehicles and T3's.

And with the excess salt on the roadways, it also prevents us (at
least those of us who try to take care for our T3's) from driving our
cars on warm "winter" days.

OK Gary. time to retire the soapbox ... until the next issue arises.  :-)

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)
Lake Geneva, WI (summer)