[T3] Regulator going down again!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue May 15 20:22:03 PDT 2012

On 15 May 2012 at 19:28, Keith Park wrote:

> Driving around town now in the rain, lights on, wipers on, and things are
> getting worse again.  No COLD generator light when I first start it like
> before but now the electronic Bosch regulator is starting to give an idle
> light, and this morning when I arrived at work I had to get it up close to
> 3K RPM with the lights and wipers OFF to get the generator light out!  Now,
> it IS charging at those RPM's even if the light is on but at idle its almost
> as if its not full-fielding the generator when it should. Drove home, nice
> bright light even though it WAS charging and the system voltage was good,
> then, about half way the light would go out but a little while later its on
> again and now its NOT charging unless I get about 3K RPM.  Got home,
> squeezed the brushes on the generator and all was well, so now it's the
> generator again!  These brushes are new and not worn down and this is one of
> the 2 generators Ive been using with no problems for 20 years.
>
> Is it possible that the regulator is damaging the generator?  This generator
> still looks fine and both brushes still look/feel new but needed a squeeze
> to make good contact again after only about 1000 miles on them

I don't think the regulator can damage the generator unless it's
putting out way more than 14 V. In that case, damage to the generator
would be the very last thing on your mind.

I think you may have a generator problem that you don't recognize.
Check the brush holders; make sure the brushes are free to slide in
them. Replacement brushes also often have that little ramp at the top
facing in the wrong direction. This will be the case if they sell the
same brushes for both Type 1 and Type 3 engines.

And once again, I'm going to suggest that you check the field winding
resistance. It should be ~4 Ohms, but the safest thing to do is to
take it apart far enough that you can get to the center tap and
compare the 2 sides. If they are not identical, one of them has some
shorted turns, and that makes them hard to bootstrap into generating.

> Anybody have a set of 12V generator brushes they'd sell me without charging
> me $10 in shipping to send them?  I need to rebuild another core I have if
> Im going to feel good about the invasion trip.

I'm sure I have some correct ones, but can't you find them locally?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org