[T3] Update on engine dying when stopping after leaving Interstate

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun May 20 18:01:44 PDT 2012

On 20 May 2012 at 8:54, Art Sterrett wrote:

> 1971 Fastback w/fuel injection!  Pulled the hose off the air cleaner
> that goes to the (AAR) and found that the engine does not die when the
> hose is closed off.  I also performed the check on the pressure sensor
> and believe it is good.  Took it out for another test drive and it
> didn't stall.  I drove it downtown last night about 9 miles and it
> performed fine, on the return home it started acting up like it wanted
> to stall several times but did not completely die.  I am not sure
> where to go from here, have a little concern about taking it any
> distance until I find out what is causing this to happen.

Connect a voltmeter between ground and the wire going to the fuel
pump from the fuel pump relay. It should show 13-14 V any time the
engine is running, and zero volts if the engine is stopped. Next time
the problem occurs, look at the voltmeter and see if this voltage has
sagged. If it has, replace the fuel pump relay

> One other thing I am curious about is what would cause the following
> electrical problem which I don't believe is related to the above
> problem.  The right tail light double filament bulb for tail and turn
> signal, works when the turn signal is activated but the tail light
> does not.  Checked the bulb and it looks good and the contacts appear
> to be okay, changed the bulb and fuse but still have the problem.
> Last night I noticed that the front turn signal's work but I do not
> have parking lights and the small marker lights are not working on
> either side.  I am going to check the headlight switch this morning
> and make sure a wire hasn't come loose.  Do all these bulbs have to
> work for everything to work?  If everything is good at the headlight
> switch where should I start checking?  The fuses are all good!

If some running lights work, the switch is okay.

If front running lights don't work, it's generally corrosion in the
socket grounds (poor connections.) I work on those with a dental
tool.

If rear running lights don't work, it's usually a bulb. I'm not home
now, so I can't look at a wiring diagram, but one of the rear
taillights is on the same wire as the license plate lights. That may
help narrow down the problem.

Each lamp is independent. One bad bulb will not cause problems with
the others.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org