[T3] Throttle Valve Switch and AAR, etc.

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Nov 11 16:07:27 PST 2012

2-  The idle adjust screw on the IAD simply allows a bit more or less bleed
air in to set the idle speed.  The more air bleed that gets in the higher
the idle speed (until it reaches the point when the injectors don't fire and
the revs fall back again).

The AAR does just the same, but self-adjusts as the engine temperature
changes (apart from some automatics that had an electrically-heated valve).

These systems work in parallel - too much air-bleed from the AAR when at
operating temp will need the idle-speed screw backed off.  That may mean the
AAR gives too much air at start-up.

If the AAR doesn't seem to be working effectively, take it out and clean
dirt off the spring.  It can stop it operating correctly.  It shouldn't be
necessary to readjust it.
The spring is bimetallic, and turns the shaft valve as (ISTR) its coils
tighten up when warmed, so dirt on the coils can stop it functioning
properly.  (awaits correction on rotation sense!).

Note, the two air-bleeds simply reduce the IAD vacuum level (i.e. bring the
manifold pressure back nearer atmospheric, equivalent to opening the
accelerator a bit), and the pressure sensor detects this, so the brain opens
the injectors a bit longer to give a bit more fuel to go with the extra air.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club