[T3] Heater hose

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Nov 21 07:09:44 PST 2012

In a message dated 11/21/2012 1:05:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

>  Yes, the reason is length. On the 64 and very early 65's, the heater
valve
> was located on the body, while after Oct 64 (65 MY), the  valve was built
> into  the heat exchanger. Prior to Nov 63, the  earlier tubing was 55 mm.
> know all  about this, as I went thru  it when I replaced that section
under the
> rear seat  on my 64  T-34. That car got a section from a 62 T-34, that
used
> the  earlier  smaller diameter tubes.

Might the Type 34s have been  different? There are no smaller dia
hoses listed in the Type 3  microfilm.

I expected that changing the location of the air valves  would have
changed the lengths on both sides, or neither side, but for  some
reason it seems to have changed the length on only one side. I remain
puzzled.

No, it's a very early versus late thing. The early 1500 cars had their
heater control valves attached to the body (regardless of body style, which was
 Square, Notch, and T-34 at the time), and used heat exchangers without the
 control valve. The size of the tubing (ID) was 55 mm (part number 311 255
355B  (LH), and 356B (RH). Since the control valves were bolt on, and new
heat  exchangers were available, VW superceded them with the new parts,
dropping the  old ones, since you could still use the newer parts.

Then VW upped the size of the tubing, heater control valves, and heat
exchangers in Nov 63 for increased heat (311 255 357D, and 358E). The later left
 hose (from Oct 64) 311 255 357E then became available (these part numbers
came  out of the parts book). I think it's slightly shorter than the
previous hose,  but I'd have to measure it to know for sure.

 Then in Oct 64, they moved the heater control valves to the heat
exchangers (making them part of it). This change stayed until T-3 production  ended.
It was probably more of a case of VW working out the bugs of the system,
and trying to find a way of saving money in the long run. These early cars
(up  to Oct 64) didn't get the extra tube for cooling air to the body. But the
reason  the right tube length didn't change, is that the 1-2 side of the
engine is  further forward of the 3-4 side, so VW had some room to play with,
and was able  to keep that length the same. Think about it for a couple of
minutes, and it'll  make sense. ;-)

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)