[T3] Crate's engine apart, mostly...

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Mon Sep 3 17:15:09 PDT 2012

Well, with the 71 Im about, hmm..  7.5:1?  Flat top pistons and stepped
heads...  don't remember what the actual number was but the compression was
low, stock cam, stock exhaust, and with 87 it WILL detonate on the hills
when its in the 70's out, I NEED 89 on the highway when its summertime.

The 1500S is well known for problems with the domed top pistons, maybe it's
the pistons, but burned pistons and running problems are well known with
that setup and I know from personal experience, it DOESN'T like to start
when its hot.  Does the Domie motor have a different cam than stock?  I know
from personal experience as well that if you put 87 in it, and I did to
drive it around the block, DON'T give it more than half throttle or it will
knock and ping, its undrivable on the 87.

John, how did you setup that compression ratio? Did you cut the heads to do
it?  Id love to keep the higher ratio as it has good low end but its not
happy on even the 93 pump gas.

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com