[T3] 72 Fastback engine

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Wed Sep 12 04:49:15 PDT 2012

On 11 Sep 2012 at 21:22, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Here is a quick photo of the engine with some of the students who had
> a hand in it. It about ready to put in as soon as the body guys get
> the main shell painted.

Looks really nice, Dennis, except that I have to agree with Keith:
That muffler may look really cool, but the 10th time you burn or cut your
shins on one of the tips, or the 3rd time you discover that the alum foil
air hoses have disappeared, you'll be looking for something better.

I hope you still have a decent pair of the little upper heat exchangers. I
went back to the stock mufflers after trying to deal with the kewl
aftermarket ones for more than 10 years. They just aren't worth it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

The Monza was not my idea. I wanted to go with a stock exhaust but it was so
expensive and we had already spent so much of the budget on unexpected
things or things that cost a lot more than I remember them costing. We had
to make up that money somewhere. I told my local VW parts guy to set me up
with duel quite packs but he said I can get you something else and I think
you will be quite pleased and that's how we got them. Jim the upper heat
exchange were about to crumble no way they could have been reused. The big
heater boxes were the only thing we could salvage and we had to do some
patch work on them. The stock muffler that came with the car new lasted
about 11 years. Then when I was in high school I put a thunder bird header
on it and it lasted about 7 years. Remember we have very little road salt to
deal with in the winter so we probably get a little more time out of the
exhaust around here. If I can get a stock set up later then I will but I can
buy 3 of these aftermarket set ups for one stock set ups.

Dennis