[T3] T3 - update: a noise I'd never heard before

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Apr 3 13:33:01 PDT 2013

On 3 Apr 2013 at 7:38, timothy kuehn wrote:

> I found the angry blue jay!

Glad to hear that you found a simple solution.

> Peened and pliered the shroud back to straight, repositioned
> generator, used new hardware on hold-down strap  Ahhh, quiet.

I'm not sure how VW originally did it, but I prefer to install the
generator strap in what I think is the opposite from how they came
from the factory.

Put the strap end with the little offset foot on the right.Tighten
the left side down tight, then snug the right side. Don't overtighten
the right side, or you'll break the fan housing.

If you do it this way, the rotational drag on the generator will tend
to tighten the grip on the generator. Done the other way, it will
tend to loosen.

I have found all versions of aftermarket exhaust parts to be
difficult to seal there. The problem is the use of not-quite-right
inch sized tubing. I find that it helps to wrap the inner tube with
some heavy alum foil or alum flashing until the sealing donut goes on
there snugly. Then put on the clamps and tighten.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org