[T3] T3 - update: a noise I'd never heard before

timothy kuehn keen_tj at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 3 07:38:08 PDT 2013

I found the angry blue jay!

Thanks to Jim & Bob for suggesting I look at the generator... the scraping/knocking sound turned out to be not in the generator itself, but simply the pully.  Way near the bottom, where you might never ever see it, the pulley was contacting the tin of the belt shroud.  By looking at the grime 'shadow' created by the mounting strap, I could see that the genny had loosened and 'walked' a few mm forward.  A slight nick in the pulley was catching an edge of the tin, and CH! CH! CH! with every revolution...

Peened and pliered the shroud back to straight, repositioned generator, used new hardware on hold-down strap  Ahhh, quiet.

Correcting this noise was a huge relief.  And led to a round of general noise-and-rattle hunting.

Anyone have a great solution for permanently securing J-tubes?  The standard U-bolt/ring kinda clamps always seem to go loose and allow a little rattling after a few warmups;  after one good hot highway run they need tightened again, otherwise the tubes rattle where they meet the muffler piping (I have an OTT).  I've just put up with this, for years, through several different exhaust systems. Is there a better way?  A better clamp?  Or a better way to use the regular clamps?

Thanks.

--Timmy
'72 square
Venice, CA